Rwanda Travel Tips | All You Need to Know Before Visiting Rwanda
Money And Expenses
The currency in Rwanda is the Rwandan franc according to acacia Travel tips for Rwanda. But it is recommended that you bring US dollars with you (only banknotes from 2003 onwards). Or cash in euros (traveler’s checks usually have a lower exchange rate). In Kigali, you can do all the banking operations you need. Because there are few options outside the capital. Exchange offices usually offer the best exchange rates.
Credit cards (especially MasterCard) are accepted in some luxury hotels and restaurants in Kigali, but not in many others.
Tipping – Rwanda Travel Tips
Tipping is not uncommon in most places in Rwanda, but in some fine restaurants in the city, 10% of the final bill is standard. Tipping is not mandatory for gorilla trekking but is much appreciated. The amount depends on the size of the group and the amount of help needed. Porters usually get the highest tip (if they choose to) and a second tip is given to guides, locators, and security personnel.
Please note. Some of our guides, porters, and trackers are former fishermen who now serve tourists and travelers for a living. Your generosity helps them understand the value of keeping gorillas and chimpanzees alive.
It is worth hiring a porter to assist you on your journey. A porter can help you with the difficult parts of the journey, provide support, and carry your day bag when you are tired from the return trip. Guide the porters well for excellent service. Ask an African safari expert for more information on tipping. They like to share their knowledge.
Climate – Rwanda Travel Tips
Average annual temperatures range from approximately 12 ° C / 54 ° F to 27 ° C / 81 ° F. Rainy season: March-April and October-mid-December. The easiest gorilla tours are during the dry season from June to September and from late December to February.
For weather maps and the best time to go trekking with gorillas, see Best Time to Visit Rwanda.
What to Pack?
Gorilla safaris in Rwanda require good equipment. Preparation is essential. If you are going on safaris in Rwanda, consider the following;
- Wearing Long
- Thick Pants.
- A Long-Sleeved Shirt
- Long Socks or Non-Slip Leggings Over Your Pants.
- Light Nettle Gloves
- A Hat.
- A Raincoat
- And of course.
- A Quick and comfortable walk to wear A pair of boots (bring along for the flight).
It can get cold and wet in the higher mountains. So, bring extra clothes and a warm fleece in your daily backpack and bring sunscreen and insect repellent. Nettles are a major food source for gorillas. When you meet a gorilla family, there is always a thick layer of nettles. It is recommended that you wear pants that are as thick as possible to protect your legs from scratches. Wear gardening gloves or other gloves to protect your hands. Given you may need to occasionally grab a plant to stabilize the body while driving.
Other Useful Rwanda Travel Tips:
- Avoid wearing strong perfumes, as pets have a keen sense of smell and may be less familiar with unfamiliar smells.
- Wear natural colors like brown and green. The animals perceive the contrast and the bright colors and strong white patterns provide the best contrast to the forest. background, once again allowing the game to keep its distance.
- Do not wear black or blue clothing as they can attract tsetse flies and other insects.
- Make sure your repellent is environmentally friendly.
- If you can bring stationery, toys or extra balls for the children of the village.
- If necessary, talk to your doctor or travel clinic about vaccinations and acclimatization medications. Many country roads are very “windy” or windy, so consider bringing motion sickness medicine if you are motion sick.
Visa and Passport Requirements
All visitors to the Rwanda safari must have a passport valid for at least 6 months. A visa is required for all but citizens of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Kenya, and South Africa. Multiple entry tourist visas can be purchased at the nearest Rwandan embassy or consulate. The visa is valid for 3 months and can usually be extended to Kigali with a monthly payment.
Gorilla Trekking Permit – Rwanda Travel Tips
A gorilla trekking permit is required. Please note that children under the age of 15 are not allowed on the gorilla trek.